Rec Sports & Sex Offenders

• May 6, 2021 at 9:56 am #2606
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hoping for any help! My City Administrator and I haven’t had this before and aren’t sure how to handle it.

I had a father, whose kids play rec sports, come to me and state that he is a registered sex offender (tier 1, sexual abuse 3rd degree). His Probation Officer told him that if I, the recreation director, write him a letter giving him permission to attend his children’s game then it is fine for him yo attend.

Wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this before? How did you handle it? What guidelines or restrictions did you set for them to follow?

May 6, 2021 at 12:12 pm #2607
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Paxton,

I talked with the West Union Police Chief and, in this area, it is up to the Parole Office to set the guidelines for what the person can and cannot do. They know the history for the sex offender and if he follows guidelines. Here, they are not allowed in our parks (ball games) or at the aquatic center. Personally, I would not want to be responsible for saying a registered sex offender can or cannot attend his child’s game. In my opinion, the risk is too great to deal with.

Resepctfully,
    Kathleen Guyer, Director
    West Union Parks and Recreation

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.